Since taking on the CEO role at Cooperative Business NZ in April 2016, Craig Presland has received many requests for assistance with setting up new co-operatives. With this in mind, Craig has produced a User Guide for all those considering whether to set up, or otherwise to join, a co-operative. In this document we answer the following questions:
- How do we progress from a group of individuals with an idea, to forming and registering a company, to drafting a constitution and business plan, to holding our first general meeting, to holding our first AGM 12 months later?
- What is a co-operative and how does this vary from standard companies (publicly and privately owned), mutual companies, incorporated societies, building societies, industrial and provident societies, credit unions etc.
- What is the history of co-operatives in NZ, and globally, and what other NZ co-operatives are there?
- Is the co-operative business model the right one for us?
- Which type of co-operative is best for us?
- How do we set up a co-operative including best practice governance?
- Is our idea business-worthy?
This Start-Up User Guide provides a good level of information relevant also to established co-operatives.