Cooperative Business New Zealand is delighted to announce New Zealand’s leading health insurer, Southern Cross Health Society, has joined as a member.
Established in 1961 as a ‘Friendly Society’ (under the Friendly Societies and Credit Unions Act 1982), Southern Cross Health Society* now has in excess of 820,000 members, more than 60 per cent of all New Zealanders with health insurance.
Southern Cross Health Society chief executive, Nick Astwick says the Society’s founders strongly believed New Zealanders should have ongoing access to private healthcare options.
Nick, pictured, took up the Society’s helm in February this year, having previously been chief operating officer at Kiwibank.
“Today, we remain true to the values that have underpinned the Society for the past half a century, but we’re also combining the best of that history with new technology, products and ideas that empower Kiwis to live their healthiest lives,” he says.
Southern Cross Health Society funds more than $750 million of healthcare services annually, including more than 200,000 elective surgical procedures, 726,000 GP visits and 428,000 specialist consultations.
“Looking ahead, we won’t only be looking to insure people’s health, but also to assure them of their health too – working in partnership with our members to help them be well, and stay well,” Nick says.
Cooperative Business NZ Chief Executive Craig Presland says it’s pleasing to have the Society join as a member.
“Southern Cross is one of New Zealand’s most enduring, well-known and trusted brands so I’m delighted to welcome them to our membership,” says Craig.
Southern Cross Health Society is one of five Southern Cross Healthcare Group businesses focused on the health and wellbeing of New Zealanders:
- Southern Cross Health Society is New Zealand’s leading health insurance business with more than 820,000 members.
- Southern Cross Hospitals is the largest network of private surgical hospitals in the country, last year providing treatment to 76,000 patients at its 18 wholly owned or joint venture medical facilities.
- Southern Cross Travel Insurance is a leading online travel insurance provider in New Zealand and Australia.
- Southern Cross Pet Insurance is a prominent New Zealand pet insurance brand, funding healthcare for four-legged family members.
- And Southern Cross Life Insurance was launched in 2016.
- The Society’s legal name is Southern Cross Medical Care Society